Monday, May 30, 2016

A MEMORIAL DAY TRIBUTE-

I wrote this for Memorial Day

a few years ago but I think it is

relevant every day.

This means even more to me now that I am

volunteering at the VA Center here. 



Memorial Day is here once more,

We fly the flags above our door,

We plant our flowers that mark the grave,

Of every soldier that was so brave,



They fought for freedom for everyone,

Many lives snuffed out by a sniper's gun.

We proudly march in our little bands,

As daybreak filters across our lands,



But I wonder if we can truly see,

What cost it was to make us free.



Confederate soldiers fought the Yanks,

Some brothers fought brothers in those ranks,

To free the downtrodden that were lost,

To free all men at any cost.



My father was a medic in World War One,

A war not talked about by anyone,

Some men lost limbs and some were gassed,

Some were picked up by comrades, others 

bypassed.



World War II! How tragic indeed,

People standing by watching others bleed.

Souls thrown to the winds with no remorse,

Foreign government standing on their own 

course.



Vietnam was not a war they said,

Then how come so many soldiers ended up 

dead?

No heroes welcome for them in sight,

They slunk home in the dead of night.



Should I go on-with Korea & Desert Storm?

Iran? Afghanistan? Are you getting warm?

Do you feel the pain you see in their face?

Does it make you squirm in your warm, safe 

place?



I've just one more thing I'd like to say,

It's about celebrating Memorial Day,

Look around and everything you see,

Was paid out in blood so that we are free.

Put your hand on your heart,

For the blue, white and red,

Raise your eyes to the flag,

Say a prayer for the dead.


Because of a soldier I can have my say,

So ~God Bless you this Memorial Day~


And To All Our Soldiers-


© Diana Kosmoski 5/31/10
your photo name

30 comments:

Kay G. said...

Dear Diana,
Thank you for re posting this for Memorial Day. God bless those who have given all their lives for freedom. I grew up seeing my mother look at the Purple Heart and the folded American flag that was given to her after her husband's death in Korea. They had no children. He has no living relatives and you might think no one to remember him but I remember him today.

a writing place said...

THANK YOU!!!
Thank you!
Thank you!

Yes, oh Yes, oh Yes!!!

Remember! Thank! Pledge Allegiance To The Flag!!!!

And while doing so, refute the blather which POTUS is spewing, in his world wide "Apology Tour".

I, as a citizen of this United States Of America, refute his "Apology Tour" blather!!!!

Tessa
My Memorial Day post

a writing place said...

Let's try that click-able link, again....

Tessa

My Memorial Day Post

Chatty Crone said...

I so agree with everything you said. We are so blessed to live here in the USA! And I thank every soldier - the ones who fought for us and the ones who died.

Kathy said...

That ia wonderful! It truly isn't about parades and barbecues. Thank you, Diana!

Red Rose Alley said...

I hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend, Diana. I think about you often with everything that is happening in your life and love to hear from you when you do a post now and then. :)

love, ~Sheri

RachelD said...

Oh, Diana!

How heart-felt and beautiful and touching. I can feel the fervor in your words, and the true-to-life feelings and sorrow for those lost to war. If every wave of a flag meant "Thank You" to a Vet---that would go far, far to express the gratitude and thanks due.

I knew you meant "soldiers," but just thought for that moment that it might be a sweet family expression, or a long-ago little error in a letter-writer's earnest hand, passed down as a small secret remembrance and tender tribute. Or perhaps that "solid" wall so proudly, valiantly standing to defend.

Thank you,

r

Susie said...

Diana, I am thankful to those that died for our country. For those that served and are still serving. Hug your vets for me. I want to thank you to for caring for the vets there. Blessings to you and your family, love, xoxo, Susie

Beemie said...

Yes a perfect tribute...

Launna said...

Diana, this is such a lovely poem... it is so well written with so much meaning... I feel incredibly blessed and grateful for all the men and women who have and are now serving so that we may be free... there has been too much loss, I feel for these people xox

Adam said...

Happy Memorial Day

Debby said...

Beautiful and true. My grandfathers, father, husband and son have all served. Proud of them. Also blessed they came home. God bless them all. Great poem. Love that little girlie.

Unknown said...

Beautifully said Diana! Now I know why I cry at the Memorial Day parade every year, but am so proud that my children and grandchildren are respectful of all the soldiers and what they have done for our sake.

Jill said...

Love this... enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Jill

This N That said...

That will always be true.. Beautifully written, well said. My husband was in Korea. Always upset because they said it wasn,t a war ..

Rose L said...

Giving a salute.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very well said and so true. Have a wonderful week!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Diana, thank you for saying what needs to be said. God bless you, dear Diana. I'm praying for peace. xo ♥

Nonnie said...

Diana, so true. God bless you. So humbling when you actually stop and reflect on what the sacrifice really means. There is honor in laying down one's life but it means grief in so many ways to so many people.

Joy Junktion said...

Beautiful Diana! Thank you for sharing again! It never grows old! Blessings, Cindy xo

Gypsy Heart said...

Amen!!

xo
Pat

BeachGypsy said...

That was amazing. Proud to be a soldiers mom.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

A beautiful poem, Diana! :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

A beautiful poem, Diana! :)

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

I hope that your Memorial Day weekend was a good one.
Our generation grew up with a reverence and respect for America that most younger people have not experienced.

My Dad was a infantryman during WWII, Aunt Madge a RN in Guam during WWII-my Grandfather fought in the Spanish-American War. We went to the graves of Fallen soldiers every Memorial Day and put flowers on their graves.
We all grew up learning about sacrifice for freedom-just like you.
Thank you for this heartfelt and beautiful tribute.
xo
Jemma

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Beautiful, Diana..What more can we say except thank you all..xxo Judy

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful piece,, truly beautiful, you are a gem,,

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Beautifully written from your heart Diana! So many terrible wars, so many suffering hearts, and such a cost... for what, we wonder sometimes! A wonderful tribute to those who have served!!!

Carla from The River said...

Well done my friend, thank you!
Carla

Kim said...

Beautiful...and a great reminder that the day is about more than the unofficial start of summer. :)